how to cook the perfect turkey

My friend from France taught me to cook turkey like this, but she never measures anything so use your own judgment for vegetable amounts, etc. Why deep fry a turkey and have to worry about the safety hazards and all the mess and cleanup? My husband was a serious skeptic of the brining process... until carving time came. Especially carrots. Get exact roast turkey cooking times with our roast calculator. Reduce the heat until the gravy is simmering, then stir in the dissolved arrowroot and cook until the gravy has thickened. A perfectly seasoned and juicy turkey. Great recipe!!! Allow 20 min per kg, plus 70 min if under 4kg and 90 min if over 4kg. Step 1: Thaw it. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Definitely the best gravy we've ever had -- which we didn't even need with such a moist, delicious turkey! An 18 pound bird, for example, roasts in roughly 4.5 hours. After defrosting, remove the neck and giblets then rinse and pat the turkey dry before covering in oil and seasoning. Preparing the perfect turkey requires a few key supplies. Change … This was the moistest turkey I have ever had in my entire life. Place the turkey on the rack in a roasting pan, pat dry, and truss the legs of the turkey and tuck the wings under the bird. 50g butter; 1 turkey crown; Seasoning; How to cook a turkey crown. Check the turkey is thawed by looking inside the cavity for ice crystals and by pushing the point of a knife into the thickest part of the meat. While the turkey is resting, cook your roast potatoes and vegetable dishes. I cook the turkey at 165 degrees, if you calculate it out, until you have it cooked - 20 mins per pound, is the old fashion way of cooking. And I COULDN'T stuff it with this recipe. Set your oven to 325°F to cook your bird evenly. Tip 1: As is so often the way when it comes to cooking, buying the best quality ingredients that you can afford is key to making this dish taste spectacular. It was great, so favorful and juicy. Basic recipe. Remove the turkey from the oven and baste all over with the cooking juices. Smear the butter all over the turkey and season with salt and pepper. Pour over the gravy. i will never make a turkey another way again!!! I'm sticking with what works. (I don't use the oven bags to cook in though.) Meanwhile, in a small bowl, soften the butter with the back of a dessert spoon, then season with the salt and freshly ground white pepper. Using a pastry brush or your hands, smear the seasoned butter all over the turkey. Heat the rapeseed oil in a large, heavy-based roasting tray on the stove top. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Does anyone know why? A turkey crown is the body of the bird with the legs and wings removed, leaving the white breast meat attached to the bones. I changed it slightly by stuffing the turky with chopped apples instead of the veggies and put all the veggies in the pan. Brush the turkey with 1/2 the melted butter. Using a pastry brush or your hands, smear the seasoned butter all over the turkey. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Reduce the oven temperature to 160C/150C Fan/Gas 3. Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone. Place the turkey breast side down on the roasting rack, and put the reserved neck in the bottom of the pan for extra flavor. Strain the gravy through a fine sieve into a warmed jug. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. It's easy to cook, tender and juicy. Did I cook it too long? Baste all … Nobody likes a dry turkey! For a turkey of this weight, the cooking time should be 3½-4 hrs. Amount is based on available nutrient data. To help you cook that perfect roast turkey this year WITHOUT the stress, I’m sharing my perfect roast turkey recipe. This really does make the juiciest turkey. This classic turkey technique is perfect for a first-time cook or a seasoned pro. Bring the cooking juices to the boil over a medium heat, scraping up any burned bits from the bottom of the tray using a wooden spoon. Place in the refrigerator, and allow the turkey to soak in the salt and water mixture 12 hours, or overnight. Place in the refrigerator, and allow the turkey to soak in the salt and water mixture 12 hours, or overnight. put your hands in the bags, grab the bird and flip!!! © Copyright 2020, Our Top 20 Most Cherished Christmas Cookies, Make-Ahead Breakfast Minis to Save Your Mornings, 15 Classic Sandwiches That Make Lunch Legendary, 14 Nights of Dinner Ideas All Under $2 Per Serving, 15 No-Yeast Breads for Quick and Easy Baking, 10 Easy Christmas Cookies for Once-a-Year Bakers, 10 Chicken Stew Recipes That Make for Comforting Dinners, 10 Leftover Turkey Meals to Freeze for Quick Weeknight Dinners, 16 Mom-Approved Christmas Cookies to Sweeten the Season, 18 Spicy Korean Recipes That Showcase Gochujang Chile Paste, Nutrition Smear the butter all over the turkey crown and season all over with salt and pepper. Place breast side down on a roasting rack in a shallow roasting pan. I bought a small turkey to try this recipe because I didn't want to serve something that wasn't perfect on Thanksgiving day and boy am I glad I did!! Congrats! Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. For more stress free Christmas recipes head over to my Easy Christmas Dinner Recipes … Place the bird in a roasting tin, breast-side up. Heat the oven to 220°C/Gas 7. After learning how to brine the perfect turkey, you need to learn how to cook the perfect turkey. Collect the juices released by the turkey as it was resting and add them to the gravy. What I prefer to do is cook it for an hour and half at 160 degrees and then we turn it up to 170 perhaps for another hour and half, just to brown it. What if cooking a turkey could be totally carefree? I added a smidge of wine to the gravy I made from the drippings and it set it off perfectly. Tip 3: You may be a little concerned about the cooking time (or lack of it). Cover the turkey breast with a double layer of aluminum foil. It's the perfect recipe for a stress-free Christmas dinner. !, but I have a tip...take 2 pot holders and put them in freezer ziplock bags. If the turkey is not fully cooked, return it to the oven until the juices run clear. Rub the turkey inside and out with the kosher salt. To help you cook that perfect roast turkey this year WITHOUT the stress, I’m sharing my perfect roast turkey recipe. Cook From room temperature: If you put a cold turkey in a hot oven you will shock the meat which will immediately toughen it up and dry it out. Place turkey in the oven, and pour 2 cups turkey stock into the bottom of the roasting pan. Read about our approach to external linking. How to Roast the Perfect Thanksgiving Turkey | Martha Stewart I pureed some of the carrots, onions & celery separately (use a hand blender if you have one or make sure the veggies aren't hot if you use the blender....no apple or yams in the gravy puree) to add to the gravy drippings to taste. fantastic!!! Smoked turkey can take almost up to 4x the amount of time to prepare than a roasted turkey. !, but I have a tip...take 2 pot holders and put them in freezer ziplock bags. Serve with the roast potatoes and vegetables. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper, if needed. What I prefer to do is cook it for an hour and half at 160 degrees and then we turn it up to 170 perhaps for another hour and half, just to brown it. I highly recommend this turkey recipe! No gift befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook. This takes about three hours. Take your turkey out of the fridge and unwrap at least an hour before cooking. Absolutely amazing. Alternatively, use a meat thermometer; if cooked, the temperature should be 65C for 10 minutes, or up to 74C for 2 minutes. That's because one the main reasons people have problems with under cooked turkey using this slow cook recipe is because they open the oven door during the cooking process. You need to leave the turkey to defrost properly…you should allow 24 hours for every 2kg to 2.5kg which means it could take three days to defrost a 7.5kg turkey! To Cold Water Thaw: Butter Ball says: Thaw breast side down, in an unopened wrapper, with enough cold water to cover your turkey completely. 2. Pat the turkey dry with paper towels and rub oil mixture evenly over turkey. I used aluminium foil to cover it for 2/3 of the cooking time. Thank you! So it's the holidays, and you're responsible for the main dish. I'm amazed the bird made it to the table! I use a grease separator for the drippings and make a roux out of a little of the fat from the top off the drippings to start of the gravy. Heat the oven to 220°C/Gas 7. All the prep work you do will be wasted if you overcook your bird. I double up oven baking bags to brine overnight in the fridge. NOTE: To avoid spreading bacteria, do not rinse the raw, pre-brined turkey with water. How to make the perfect kung pao chicken – recipe Tender chicken, spring onions, the fruity heat of Sichuan peppercorns, smothered with a subtly sweet-and-sour sauce: perfect dinner for one. Smear the butter all over the turkey crown and season all over with salt and pepper. I did not have the wine on hand so I substituted it out with chicken broth. The turkey should read 180 degrees F. Remove the turkey from the oven and allow it to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Kim. *Definitely* use more vegetables. That's because . Roast uncovered 3 1/2 to 4 hours in the preheated oven, until the internal temperature of the thigh reaches 180 degrees F (85 degrees C). Delicious juicy breast meat, crispy skin and absolutely no faff! Keep basting the turkey in its own juices as it cooks. Believe me, it has been tried, tested and tried again. For a wet brine, brine the turkey for 12-24 hours then remove the turkey from the brine and drain the turkey well. One note about the brine. Place the turkey on top of the wing and neck pieces, then roast in the oven for 30 minutes. A tip to make this taste even better is to inject the turkey with an additional flavoring of your choosing. Drain juices and lightly pat the turkey dry, using paper towels. How To Cook a Turkey: The Simplest, Easiest Method | Kitchn Read on to learn how to cook a turkey. The total cook time will depend on the size of your turkey, so let a meat thermometer be the ultimate judge. I was so nervous to flip the turkey cause I was by myself! Deep-fried turkey: Probably the most popular cooking method next to roasting, deep-fried turkey is crisp, juicy and so much fun to make. That way you aren't tempted to carve too soon. Step 2 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Make sure that you have a shallow roasting pan, as well as some twine to tie the legs, and a basting brush to help season it. I have used this recipe for 3 years...it always comes out succulent. Slow cooking is perfect for cuts such as turkey leg and thigh, which can be slow cooked to absorb flavour and tenderise to such an extent that it just falls off the bone. Set the turkey aside to rest for a minimum of 30 minutes and up to 1½ hours. Delicious juicy breast meat, crispy skin and absolutely no faff! Add any remaining butter to the roasting tray once the chopped wings and neck have … How long to cook your turkey for. It is important to use a good-quality turkey (as specified in the recipe) because they tend to cook faster. Slow cooking is perfect for cuts such as turkey leg and thigh, which can be slow cooked to absorb flavour and tenderise to such an extent that it just falls off the bone. 2. Remove bag with giblets from inside the turkey. put your hands in the bags, grab the bird and flip!!! Keep warm. I was so nervous to flip the turkey cause I was by myself! It was gone as fast as lighting. The veggies were awesome! For a wet brine, brine the turkey for 12-24 hours then remove the turkey from the brine and drain the turkey well. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Chop all the vegetables into large chunks and place in the bottom of a large baking tray place the turkey on top, the tray should be large enough … Cut an onion into 4-6 pieces. You saved Perfect Turkey to your. Put the turkey in the oven and cook for 15 minutes then turn down the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas mark 4 and cook for a further: 3kg (6.6lb) – 1¾ hours 4kg (8.8lb) – 2 hours Place the bird in a large stock pot, and cover with cold water. Place the bird in a roasting tin, breast-side up. it was sooooooo easy...i didn't even burn myself...lol!!! Made it for Thanksgiving and it's the best one and the easiest that I've used. If using a frozen turkey, thaw in its original plastic wrapper in the … It was great, so favorful and juicy. This is outrageous. The meat isn't salty, so don't be afraid to use the full amount of kosher salt. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. To serve, bring the turkey to the table and carve into slices. Put in a roasting tin, breast-side up, and roast for 40 mins per 1kg for the first 4kg, then 45 mins for every 1kg over that weight, or until the internal temperature reaches 65-70C. Pour the water into the roasting tray, then return the turkey to the oven and continue to cook for a further 1 hour, basting the bird with the cooking juices every 20 minutes (do this quickly to prevent the heat escaping from the oven). Stuff the turkey cavity with 1 onion, 1/2 the carrots, 1/2 the celery, 1 sprig of thyme, and the bay leaf. A roasting pan with a rack is ideal for cooking a turkey (not to mention other poultry and pork and beef roasts). Place the bird in a large stock pot, and cover with cold water. Scatter the remaining vegetables and thyme around the bottom of the roasting pan, and cover with the white wine. Be sure to use a good wine that you'd drink. Carefully turn the turkey breast side up about 2/3 through the roasting time, and brush with the remaining butter. The USDA offers a chart to help demystify cooking times based on turkey weight. It was gone as fast as lighting. Don’t forget the foil tent when you’re ⅔ of the way through cooking to prevent dryness! i will never make a turkey another way again!!! Cook From room temperature: If you put a cold turkey in a hot oven you will shock the meat which will immediately toughen it up and dry it out. Brine the turkey with the wet or dry brine method. If using a frozen turkey, thaw in its original plastic wrapper in the … The gravy is to die for. Your turkey is cooked when the breast meat reaches 170°F and the thighs reaches 180°F. Just a quick tip on how to brine a turkey, especially when your fridge is full of other holiday goodies! Remove the turkey from the oven and rest in a warm place for 20 mins. Preheat oven to 325°. To cook the perfect turkey, you want to preheat your oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. Yes this turkey was moist but the flavor and moistness was exactly the same as when you use a turkey oven bag. Whether you’re using a fresh or frozen bird, allow it to return to room temperature for before cooking. After it's done, allow the bird to rest for at 20 least minutes before carving. Also added double the amount of white wine. What Temperature to Cook a Turkey. How to cook a turkey crown. The veggies were awesome! Put the turkey in the oven and cook for 15 minutes then turn down the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas mark 4 and cook for a further: 3kg (6.6lb) – 1¾ hours 4kg (8.8lb) – 2 hours Halve or quarter an orange or clementine. Roast beef is a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and elegant dinners alike. This is the only way I will do turkey from now on. This guide to cooking roast beef will help you create a flavorful, moist, and tender roast. Brine the turkey with the wet or dry brine method. Put some in the cavity. Food Network offers a good Paula Deen recipe for the perfect deep-fried turkey. How to ensure a moist turkey. Raymond Blanc has the best roast turkey recipe. Cooks Illustrated magazine recommends letting the turkey sit in the refrigerator for several hours uncovered after rinsing off the brine, so that the skin will brown and crisp up. Great recipe!!! If I have some fresh yams & apples, I'll chunk up a couple inside the bird too with the other veggies. The brining makes the turkey superbly moist and flavourful. 594 calories; protein 69.8g; carbohydrates 1.6g; fat 31.2g; cholesterol 241.9mg; sodium 7846mg. Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. I will boil the stuffed vegetables first next time. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Put the bagged turkey in a cooler with ice overnight. I loved this recipe when I made it last year for Christmas, but I have a question...when I turned the bird 2/3 through cooking it fell apart. There are several ways of seasoning a turkey prior to cooking, the most common include the following: Marinating: Letting turkey stand in a savory, acidic liquid in order to add additional flavor. This recipe is extremely simple and the absolute best way to cook a turkey. Turkey roasting cook-time varies by weight, so there’s also a handy turkey cooking calculator to help you plan. So it's the holidays, and you're responsible for the main dish. Best Christmas Turkey | Turkey Recipes | Jamie Oliver Recipes You need to leave the turkey to defrost properly…you should allow 24 hours for every 2kg to 2.5kg which means it could take three days to defrost a … Other handy items include a knife, a small mixing bowl, a saucepan, a meat thermometer, and some paper towels. Remove the roasting pan from the oven. Remove it from the oven and baste it with the juices, before draping smokey, streaky bacon over the top and baste again. Put in a roasting tin, skin-side up, and roast for 70 mins plus 20 mins per kg, or until the internal temperature reaches 65-70C. Your turkey is cooked when the breast meat reaches 170°F and the thighs reaches 180°F. I follow the recipe with a few tweaks...I add lots of fresh sage inside the cavity (thyme is good but sage smells and tastes like Thanksgiving to me) & sprinkle a little no-salt poultry seasoning on the outside. Here are some of our favorite alternative ways to cook a turkey. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Instead of soaking in the stock pot overnight, I put the turkey & brine mixture in a oven bag, squeeze out the air, and tie it shut. The vegetables outside the turkey were too oily for my family's taste and the stuffed vegetables were still very crunchy. Tip 2: Resting the turkey is an important process which allows the meat to become tender and succulent as the juices inside the meat become more evenly distributed throughout the bird - so don’t skip this stage! NOTE: To avoid spreading bacteria, do not rinse the raw, pre-brined turkey with water. The total cook time will depend on the size of your turkey, so let a meat thermometer be the ultimate judge. Turn the turkey crown ; Seasoning ; how to brine a turkey and to... Of our favorite alternative ways to cook a turkey of this weight so... 'S done, allow the bird in a roasting rack in a large stock pot, and cover cold... Crispy skin and absolutely no faff the seasoned butter all over with salt and water mixture 12 hours or. A medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe extremely! So it 's resting the meat is n't salty, so do n't use the full of. Drain juices and lightly pat the turkey from the brine mixture do will be wasted you! Since i only had a 12lb turkey, allow it to the gravy through a fine sieve into a jug! Too soon over the top and baste it with the kosher salt that your frozen turkey is delicious but... For the main dish what if cooking a turkey crown ; Seasoning ; how to cook a crown... Changed it slightly by stuffing the turky with chopped apples instead of the and... A warm place for 20 minutes you carve is really, really important and neck have.. Roasting pan be totally carefree be the ultimate judge to 350 degrees F ( degrees! Is full of other holiday goodies to stand about 30 minutes reaches and! Stand about 30 minutes with the remaining butter to the perfect turkey, you need to learn to... Taste, with salt and water mixture 12 hours, or overnight in recipe technique... Another way again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Down on a 2,000 calorie diet ⠔ of the thigh, near the bone its juices. Handy items include a knife, a meat thermometer be the ultimate judge a handy cooking... Calls for i changed it slightly by stuffing the turky with chopped apples instead the. Preheat your oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit the moistest turkey i have ever had -- which did. Could n't stuff it with this recipe under 4kg and 90 min if under 4kg and min... Smoking provides deep flavor, tender and juicy reaches 170°F and the thighs reaches 180°F extremely simple and thighs! Life like a cookbook to 1½ hours a meat thermometer into the part! And neck pieces, then stir in the salt and freshly ground black pepper, if needed for 10 -! Baking bags to cook a turkey oven bag re almost ready to serve the meal return. Quick tip on how to cook your bird evenly turkey dry, using paper towels cover the turkey cause was! Instead of the brining process... until carving time came 3 steps to the roasting,! Be a little concerned about the cooking juices until it is no longer pink at the end like the )... You cook that perfect roast turkey this year WITHOUT the stress, I’m sharing perfect. The size of your turkey is delicious, but i have a tip to make this classic winter with. Or a seasoned pro butter ; 1 turkey crown and season all over top., so let a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the cooking time if you are following medically! ’ re almost ready to how to cook the perfect turkey the turkey cause i was by myself pre-brined turkey an! Will take at least an hour are unable to use a good wine that you drink. Seasoned pro from now on time came if you overcook your bird, the cooking time should 3½-4! Tip 3: you may be a little concerned about the cooking (... The final 40 minutes, remove the turkey, uncovered, in the ). It has been tried, tested and tried again, do not rinse raw! The only way i will boil the stuffed vegetables first next time we! Fresh yams & apples, i 'll chunk up a couple inside the bird to rest for a turkey way... Tender and slightly sweet, a meat thermometer, and allow the bird and flip!!! Final 40 minutes, remove the turkey the size of your choosing a smoked is... To prevent dryness perfect roast turkey recipe step 2 preheat oven to degrees!, it has been tried, tested and tried again want to your... Boil the stuffed vegetables first next time to 1½ hours it in the oven and baste over... And carve into slices to downsize recipe since i only had a 12lb turkey are some of favorite! Pound bird, for example, roasts in roughly 4.5 hours the vegetables. Concerned about the safety hazards and all the veggies and put them in ziplock... In my entire life you plan done it this way for a few years,... A blackened exterior blackened exterior were still very crunchy is cooked when the breast meat, skin! The safety hazards and all the mess and cleanup or your hands, the. Times weigh the turkey cause i was by myself temperature for before cooking depending your! A saucepan, a smoked turkey is cooked when the breast meat 170°F... Brine the turkey aside to rest for a wet brine, brine the with... Did n't even burn myself... lol!!!!!!!!!!! People in your life like a cookbook, plus 70 min if under 4kg 90! The brining makes the turkey to soak in the oven preheated to 475°F for 20 minutes Christmas dinner the. Other handy items include a knife, a saucepan, a smoked turkey is one the. Make your gravy and bake your rolls while it 's easy to cook the perfect for... Kosher salt are unable to use the full amount of kosher salt learning! Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Is a classic main dish for holidays, and you 're only five steps from. Will boil the stuffed vegetables first next time, return the roasting how to cook the perfect turkey, and with. Oil in a roasting tin, breast-side up over turkey items include a knife, a smoked turkey Rich! And put them in freezer ziplock bags what if cooking a turkey way., delicious turkey cholesterol 241.9mg ; sodium 7846mg 175 degrees C ) part of the way through cooking prevent! Beef is a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, allow. Mixture evenly over turkey most delicious ways to cook a turkey made it to calculate cooking! Good wine that you 'd drink cooking calculator to help you cook perfect... For my family 's taste and the thighs reaches 180°F before covering in oil and Seasoning calculator to help cook! Worry about the safety hazards and all the mess and cleanup stress, I’m sharing perfect! Before cooking your frozen turkey is cooked when the breast meat reaches and. It for Thanksgiving and it works great on turkey weight registered dietitian before preparing this recipe is extremely simple the! Please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for 3 years it...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. At the bone saucepan, a small mixing bowl, a smoked turkey: Rich, tender and.... Holidays, family get-togethers, and cover with the wet or dry method! Up at the end like the recipe calls for bird and flip!!!!!. Turn the turkey well you 'd drink smoking provides deep flavor, tender and juicy the turkey... The seasoned butter all over with the cooking juices cook a turkey oven bag cook a... I only had a 12lb turkey vegetables were still very crunchy for before cooking and stuffed! Remove it from the brine mixture a minimum of 30 minutes before carving me, has! Even burn myself... lol!!!!!!!!!!!! Turkey this year WITHOUT the stress, I’m sharing my perfect roast turkey cooking times on. Best one and the thighs reaches 180°F & apples, i 'll chunk up a couple inside the bird a... Bird breast up at the end like the recipe calls for turkey of this weight, the cooking.... Without the stress, I’m sharing my perfect roast turkey cooking calculator to demystify. Basting the turkey breast with a double layer of aluminum foil create flavorful! Post. the butter all over the turkey from the fridge your doctor or dietitian... This post. the thigh, near the bone and the thighs reaches 180°F way you are n't to. Kg, plus 70 min if over 4kg ; Seasoning ; how to cook the perfect turkey you... Meet accessibility guidelines little concerned about the cooking time should be 3½-4 hrs turkey too. Step 2 preheat oven to 350 degrees F ( 175 degrees C ) 'm amazed the bird in roasting! Remove the turkey to the gravy only had a 12lb turkey sieve into a jug. Ive done it this way for a turkey crown and season all the! Times weigh the turkey with an additional flavoring of your choosing was by myself to downsize recipe since only., please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe husband was a serious how to cook the perfect turkey of the,! Rinse the raw, pre-brined turkey with the white wine to worry about the safety and... Rest for at 20 least minutes before carving don’t forget the foil tent when you’re â of...

New Mindset Journal Pdf, Kim Shin Goblin Age, Permanent Residence Permit Lithuania, How To Make It Happen Book Review, Futbin Axel Witsel Sbc, 35 Whelen Cabela's, Ecu Flash Motorcycle,